Just six miles north of central London, the upmarket suburb of Highgate with its prime hilltop location boasts fantastic views stretching across the Capital. Highgate is steeped in history, with its Victorian cemetery serving as the final resting place of Karl Marx and local Highgate School boasting T.S. Eliot as a previous teacher. These days Highgate enjoys the best of both worlds - as a result of excellent local transport links it is under 20 minutes on the tube from Leicester Square and yet it succeeds in retaining all the charm of a countryside village.
The best of Highgate:
• Highgate has many green expanses and it borders with the eastern part of the well-known and popular Hampstead Heath. Waterlow Park is within walking distance of the town centre and provides Highgate’s locals with 26 acres of parkland.
• Highgate boasts excellent state primary schools as well as outstanding private schools.
• The centre of Highgate provides a sociable café culture, with a variety of shops, pubs and restaurants, intermingled with residential streets and local landmarks including St Michael’s Church and steeple.
• The annual ‘Highgate's Fair in the Square’ in Pond Square attracts locals and visitors alike with its live music, children’s activities, stalls and entertainment.
• The private members’ Highgate Golf Club has an excellent golf course and is set in tranquil and idyllic surroundings.
Is Highgate for me?
As one of the most expensive London suburbs in which to live, it is unsurprising that many celebrities have set up home in the area. Highgate also has a high proportion of families, attracted by the firstrate primary schools and excellent private schools. Its good transport links have also made Highgate an attractive option for professionals from the City that are looking for a tranquil but upmarket retreat after a hard day’s work in the office.
There are 2 state primary schools within the Highgate N6 postcode area:
• St Michael's C of E Voluntary Aided Primary School – North Road
• Highgate Primary School – North Hill
Highgate Wood on Montenotte road (N8) is the main state secondary school.
Highgate also boasts some exceptional private schools, namely Highgate and Channings.
Highgate is in Zone 3 and has excellent local transport links.
Tube: Highgate tube stop is situated north of the village and Archway station is to the south. Both are on the Northern line.
Trains: The nearest train station is over a mile away at Upper Holloway, situated to the south-east of Highgate.
Buses: Highgate is on several bus routes including the 24hr no. 134 service towards North Finchley or Tottenham Court Road, 143 to Archway or Brent Cross and the N20 night bus to Trafalgar square.
For further information on Highgate’s transport links, visit the Transport for London website (www.tfl.gov.uk)
The majority of Highgate’s architecture is traditional period residential housing with Georgian and Victorian homes, although there is also a mixture of art deco and mock Tudor houses and flats as well as some Berthold Lubetkin’s 1930s Highpoint buildings.
Most of Highgate falls under Camden borough council. The annual 2016/ 2017 council tax rates for Camden are listed below:
Band A: £906.25
Band B: £1,057.30
Band C: £1,208.33
Band D: £1,359.38
Band E: £1,661.46
Band F: £1,963.55
Band G: £2,265.63
Band H: £2,718.76